Mother
“Oh, this bruise? It’s nothing really. When I got out of the movies last night this guy ran into me. I took a pretty bad fall, but it was no big deal. Yeah, the guy is definitely fine…well, really better than fine – not a scratch on him, in fact. Why is that? Probably because he knocked into me on purpose, but like I said, it’s no big. I’m not really that hurt and I didn’t have any money on me anyway. I promise I’m fine.”
Best Friend
“You won’t believe what happened last night. I was leaving the movies and this guy came out of nowhere. He made me hand over all the money I had on me then he hit me well enough that I fell. He ran off without doing more damage than that, thank God. But can you believe it? The poor guy seemed like he really needed the money though. He was really young and he looked hungry. It’s too bad he didn’t just ask, I would have given him some money without taking a hit.”
Significant Other
“Well, I was coming out of the movies when this young kid came up to me. I think he was really hungry, so he probably wasn’t thinking strait. He grabbed my arm and asked for all my money. I would have given it to him anyway, but after I did he made sure I couldn’t follow him. I don’t think he meant for me to get hurt, and it’s only a small bruise – it doesn’t even hurt. I just feel bad for that poor kid. Maybe if I see him again I can help him out more.”
Therapist
“I wonder what happened to him that he would feel that he needed to hurt me and force me to help him. If he had asked, I would have given my help willingly. Someone must have hurt him terribly, and to be so young and so untrusting. I wish people wouldn’t have children if they couldn’t take care of them. The poor boy didn’t look older than fifteen. I’m sure he isn’t in school; I’ve never seen him in the halls. How could people be so cruel as to hurt an innocent child that badly?”
Police Officer
“Well, he was a young boy. I don’t think he meant to hurt me; I’m naturally clumsy so the bruise is probably my own fault. He’s about fifteen with dark hair. He’s wearing a blue jacket and jeans. I hope you can find him and help him. He looked like he could use a good meal and some loving care. I’d bet he’s living on the streets without a family to speak of. Please let me know if you find him. I’d like to help him if I can.”
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Writing to the Audience
Posted by Cassandra at 9:49 AM
Labels: short story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment