CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Stanley

“Where were you last night?” That is a great question. I look down at my torn jeans and bloody arms as I try to come up with an answer that wouldn’t shock my father too badly. The truth would probably kill him; after all, it’s not every parent that has a vampire slayer for a daughter. The only logical thing I can think of to explain my appearance is that I took a fall on my bike. I’m not sure that he really believes me, but there is nothing else I can do for now, I have to leave for “school”.
“What did you tell your father?” my watcher asks before even saying hello I might add.
“I told him that I went to a dog fight and this huge guy pushed me into the ring. They barely pulled me out before the dogs ate me for dinner. It was very traumatic…” I can’t help myself; it’s always the same question every morning. It’s like he doesn’t think I am capable of keeping a secret.
“Very funny. Fall off your bike again, did you?” Like he didn’t know very well that was the story I was going to use. Pretty soon my father would probably take away my bike and then we would need a new excuse for my daily bruising. Especially since it was not likely to stop with Stanley is in town. Don’t let the name fool you, he’s as bad ass as they come, just had cruel parents I guess. Anyway, he’s the villain of the week and if I don’t stop him soon even the mystically ignorant are going to start noticing that something is up.
Another day, another vampire might as well be my motto at this point. Not a week goes by that some vampire who thinks he’s Satan’s gift doesn’t show up and start causing problems in my city. Like Chicago doesn’t have enough problems without help from the undead. Oliver and I continue training until early afternoon when school lets out and I go home for a nap. Tonight is the night that I am going to face Stanley once and for all.
Sometimes the quiet gets to me, especially at night. I should be used to it I guess, being alone so much, but it can get creepy. Especially when I’m busy hunting a vampire in the worst parts of town. At least I’ve only got one more street until I get there. There is no way he will beat me tonight, I’ve got all the weapons I need and the advantage of surprise and home turf.
However, I arrive to an ambush. I have no idea how he knew to be ready for me, but Stanley’s boys were at the door – the undead welcome wagon. There were five crowding the door as I entered. One I caught off guard with a cut to the jaw and staked him quick. Two I flung holy water at to get them out of the way. Next was another stake and then a quick beheading with my knife. When the two wet ones came back I was ready with another stake. One went down easy, the other not so much. For about twenty minutes we beat the crap out of each other until I managed to get under his guard and stake him.
With the lackeys out of the way, I made my way into the house proper. I use the term house loosely; mostly it was a glorified hole in the wall. Finally I found Stanley hanging out in back reading a book of all things. I guess that explains the horrible name. When I walked in he looked up from his reading, put the book down carefully, and flew at me full force before I had time to react. It’s now or never.

Jessica Jones
1969-1986
Beloved Daughter

“I can’t believe I lost her to Stanley. This should have been an easy kill for Jessica, she had already faced so much worse. I wish I could have taught her more, made her faster or prepared her better for that night. To think that she would have been taken out by a common vampire like that is so terribly sad. I am sorry to have to send this horrible news to the council but it is important that the next slayer to be called should be sent to stop Stanley and to stand guard here in Chicago. Dark forces seem to be drawn here and without a slayer these people will be helpless.”

0 comments: