“So…as I was saying, this island is full of treasure just there for the taking. All we have to do is find it first.”
“But, Sir, isn’t there the small matter of the people living on the island?”
“There are no people living on the island, Blue Johnny. This island is totally empty – except for the treasure of course. Once we find this treasure we will be greater than all the other pirates put together. Everyone will be singing the praises of Captain Couscous. I will be the most feared pirate to ever sail the seas. My flag will fly above all the other flags wherever we go. My ship’s hull will be so full of gold that the ship will barely be above sea level. The mast will be fashioned from solid gold pulled from the soil of this desolate island.”
“That’s all good and well, Captain, but this island dweller, who doesn’t exist to begin with, is telling us that there is no gold here. If they haven’t found any gold how are we going to?”
“I told you, there is no one living here! But if there were, they would not have the intelligence and tools that we do. We can pull this entire island out of the ocean and flip it over to look for the gold hidden underneath. There is no way that we will not find the gold!”
Two years later, Captain Couscous and his crew washed ashore in tatters. The ship was barely above sea level, there was no longer any mast to speak of, and the flags were long gone. The king, having financed the good Captain in secret hoping for a cut of the gold, ordered Captain Couscous to be brought before him. Seeing that the ship had returned worse for the wear and definitely devoid of gold, the king demanded an explanation of Captain Couscous.
“Well, Sire, it was a horrible voyage. The crossing over nearly killed my men with all the storms we faces, and it took so long we nearly ran out of food and fresh water. When we got there a completely deserted island without even a tree to give us sustenance greeted us. Knowing our duty to the crown, we immediately began looking for treasure, showing no regard for the state of our ravaged bodies. We searched until we could search no more, but there was no gold to be found, Sire. Eventually we had to turn back; else we would not have been able to return at all. As it was, we barely made it back here in one piece, but I knew it was my duty to report to your royal self.”
“Why then, if it was your duty, were you brought before us dragged in with the chains bound to your wrists?”
“I was afraid of your displeasure, Your Majesty. I was hoping to find some better news to bring to you before I gave my report. You see, I would like your permission and support to outfit my ship for another voyage to a different island that the natives on this one told us about. Apparently, on this other island, they have entire temples filled with gold. If it pleases, Sire, I would like to leave within a fortnight to journey to this island.”
“Natives you say, but I thought you said the island was completely deserted.”
“That is true, Your Majesty, I did. You see the natives were so devoid of mental faculties that there was no reason to call attention to them at all. They were little better than animals. I was able to bring back one of these creatures for Your Most Greatness to study. He did not come willingly, but he is in better spirits now that he is back on land. I hope my meager contribution pleases you, Sire.”
“Well, it will have to do for now, and I will grant you permission to sail to this other island, but as to funding you are on your own. The crown is not in the habit of funding the voyages of pirates. Go now and do not return unless you have something of value to bring before me.”
After re-outfitting the ship on the crown’s expense, Captain Couscous and his crew sailed to this other island. The difficult journey took them three weeks. When they arrived, Captain Couscous thought it was a good time for one of his wonderfully motivating speeches.
“Once again we find ourselves on the shores of an empty island. Empty except for the gold of course. This island is so full of gold and jewels that we will not be able to fit it all on the ship for the return voyage. In fact, I believe we will have to build a second ship just to hold the treasure we will find! Yes, boys, there is no limit to the riches to be found.”
“But, Sir, this native is saying that there is no gold.”
“Will you shut up, Blue Johnny!?!”
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Unreliable Narrative
Posted by Cassandra at 9:49 AM
Labels: short story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment