Judy was sitting off to the side with a faraway look on her face, telling the world that her thoughts were not exactly on the moment she was in. This would be okay if she wasn’t surrounded by people at her daughter’s engagement party. However, her thoughts were wandering along the road that her daughter and new son-in-law would be traveling once they married.
Shortly, Beth, the mother of the groom, sat down beside her and pulled her out of her dream space. “So how are you enjoying the party, Beth? I think it all came together rather well.” It was obvious to any observer that though this was small talk, the women already shared a bond.
“Actually, Judy, I am a little upset. I can’t believe that Sam is getting married. He is still awfully young to be doing something so grown up. I guess I am just having trouble letting go after taking care of them all these years. I know that they make each other happy though, and in the end that is all that really matters. Joe and I know that we are sending him off into a good beginning for his new life with Sara.” Everyone within hearing knew that the sentiments were sincere, but they also knew that Beth was barely holding in the tears. Losing her only son so young was difficult for her. For Judy it was different. Sara was her youngest daughter so she had already gone through this before. Though it did not lessen the pain, she was more accustomed to hiding it.
A few moments later the women were shocked out of their reverie when a very frantic looking young woman walked up to them rather abruptly. “Ladies, what are you doing just sitting around chatting? There are so many people here that you should be talking to! You need to mingle; you are the parents of the people getting married you know.” The two women did not look too troubled by the rudeness underlying the exclamation. They knew that her nerves were frazzled from all the festivities around them. After all, they remembered when it was their turn to be the bride.
Knowing that Sara and Sam were likely to have the same kind of loving relationship that both of their parents had, neither Beth nor Judy was really all the worried about them. They were mostly just sad to realize that their children were all grown up and starting a new family together.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
The New Family
Posted by Cassandra at 9:40 AM
Labels: short story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment